With Optimail, it is easy to automatically send personalized transaction confirmation emails to customers. These transactional emails are typically generated in response to events such as purchase made, shipment sent or game level reached.
This document outlines the steps required to set up automatic transactional emails.
Setting Up Transactional Emails in Optimail
Set Up a New Optimail Account Dedicated to Transactional Emails
Contact your CSM to set up a new Optimail sub-account that will be dedicated to sending transactional emails. If you are working with multiple brands, you must set up a separate Optimail sub-account for each of your brands. For each sub-account, you will need to select the domain name, default From Name and default From Email addresses.
For each account, your CSM can define a set of particular personalization tags that will be available to dynamically personalize each email, using data passed via the API, per transactional send.
Optimail uses a dedicated IP address for each sub-account. Because many spam detection systems assign a reputation ranking to individual IP addresses, spam systems may treat emails coming from a new Optimail account as automatically suspect. In order to avoid the rejection of emails sent to customers, it is important to slowly “warm up” the new IP. This is done by gradually sending an increasing number of real customer emails over a period of 30 days. By the end of this period, you will be able to send customer emails freely. Contact your CSM to learn more about this process.
Setting up Templates in the Optimove UI
In the Manage Templates page, select the relevant brand from the drop-down list on top and then select the Transactional Templates tab.
Create your transactional email templates, either using the Optimail editor or by importing HTML code prepared externally.
Each template can include personalization tags that will be replaced, at the time that each email is generated, with specific values provided by your system via API.
Note that transactional email templates are maintained completely separately from regular Optimail templates in the system.
Sending an Email via the Optimove API
In order to trigger transactional emails from your system, you need to execute code that will connect to the Optimove API and initiate email sends for specific users/events.
The following API call must be made by your system in order to activate a transactional email:
Authorization-Token: <user token returned by API login call>
POST to https://apiX.optimove.net/current/transactionalmail/SendTransactionalMail
- Refer to the Optimove API User Guide for detailed documentation of the Optimove API.
- Your CSM will provide you do credentials for accessing the Optimove API if you do not already have them.
- The TemplateID for each template can be found at the bottom of its Manage Templates page in the Optimove UI:
- Each SendMail call can contain one or more recipients (email addresses) and associated personalization tags.
- For each recipient, you can provide a set of personalization values using Tag/Value pairs. The Tag string must be identical to the personalization tag name string defined in the system by your CSM and must begin with the prefix ‘TRANS:’ (example: [%TRANS:CART_URL%]).
- You can provide the schedule time (in UTC) for each SendMail call using the optional ScheduleTime parameter. If a schedule time is not provided, the email will be sent out immediately.
Retrieving Metrics for Past Transactional Emails
You can use the Optimove API in order to retrieve post-execution metrics per template or recipient, using the GetTemplateMetrics and GetUserMetrics API calls, respectively. Refer to the Optimove API User Guide for details.