Google Display Network is a collection of websites, including specific Google websites like Google Finance, Gmail, Blogger and YouTube, which show AdWords ads. Using either a DoubleClick Bid Manager (DBM) account or an AdWords account with an account manager, you can target “User Lists” of specific users for particular AdWords campaigns, matched by their Google IDs.
The integrated solution of Google Display Network and Optimove makes it easy to plan and execute AdWords campaigns, based on the advanced customer segmentation available in Optimove.
Setting Up the Integration
In order to set up the integration between your Optimove site and your DBM/AdWords account, the following steps are required:
- Approve Optimove as a User List Provider in your AdWords or DMB account, with one of the following permission types:
- INVITE_ADVERTISER – User List Provider for a specific brand in your DBM account
- INVITE_PARTNER – User List Provider for all brands in your DMB account
- ADWORDS – User List Provider for simple AdWords accounts
In order to approve Optimove as a User List Provider with one of the above permission types, contact your Google account manager and request to connect Optimove’s AdWords account to your account, specifying the following:
- Your client ID
- The type of permission you want to grant Optimove, from the three options listed above
- Optimove's Account ID: 932038
Once this request is passed on to Google, they will connect the Optimove account to your AdWords or DBM account, so that Optimove will be able to create new User Lists and to populate them with customer or visitor IDs.
- Provide your AdWords/DBM account details to Optimove:
- The ClientCustomerID for the Google DMP User List API
- The type of User List Provider assigned to Optimove by Google
The Optimove Integration team will set up the integration for your Optimove site, using these details.
- Implement the Optimove Web SDK in order to match Google IDs with Optimove Customer IDs. Contact your CSM in order to initiate the process of implementing the Web SDK, then implement the relevant functions according to the steps described here.
- When scheduling a campaign in Optimove, select the “Google Display Network” execution channel
- Select the appropriate User List from the drop-down list that appears. In the next step, you will need to associate the User List you selected here with a relevant campaign.
Note: In order to track anonymous visitor activity, you will need Optimove’s Track & Trigger add-on product. Without Track & Trigger, Optimove will only perform cookie matching for known customers.
Working with Multiple Google Accounts
You can connect Optimove to multiple Google accounts. To do so, you must ensure that Optimove is granted permissions for each account, and then provide the ClientCustomerID and User List Provider type for each account to the Optimove integration team.
Working with Additional User Lists
Optimove will automatically create a set of preconfigured User Lists in your connected AdWords or DBM account. If you require the creation of additional User Lists, contact the Optimove integration team. Note that User Lists become active approximately 24 hours after creation.
Executing Google Display Network Campaigns Using Optimove
1. Schedule Your Google Display Network Campaign
2. Set Up the Campaign in Google
After the campaign is scheduled within Optimove, use the Google AdWords or DBM client to create the desired campaign for the User List populated by Optimove.
3. Optimove Executes Your Google Display Network Campaigns
On a daily basis, Optimove will automatically populate the selected Google User List with the customer or visitor IDs included in the selected target group. When the campaign’s measurement period concludes, Optimove will remove all IDs from the list.
Note that Optimove will only populate the User List with IDs that were already matched, by the above script, with Google IDs. Thus, a target group may contain 1,000 customers/visitors, but only 500 may be added to the User List for that target group’s campaign.
Note also that Google requires a minimum of 300 IDs in order for a User List to become active. You can associate one Google User List with more than one Optimove campaign in order to reach the 300-customer threshold, although, of course, all the associated Optimove campaigns will result in the single Google campaign run to that list.