The integrated solution of Bronto and Optimove helps increase customer engagement and spend by using predictive customer modeling to personalize retention campaigns.
Marketers use Optimove to plan their customer marketing campaigns based on advanced customer segmentation available in the product. Using Optimove’s customer modeling system, marketers are able to easily define and discover interesting groups of customers to target—groups that the company’s marketers wouldn’t have been able to identify and target otherwise.
The next step is for the marketing team to develop the particular offers or incentives they want to send each target group of customers.
Every night, the Optimove software generates the specific lists of customer IDs to receive each pre-planned marketing campaign—along with the Bronto email template ID and scheduled send time. Optimove pushes the lists to Bronto via API and then Bronto sends out each personalized campaign at the specified time.
During and after the campaign’s execution, Optimove reports on the financial success metrics of each campaign (compared to a pre-selected control group) or the winner of an A/B campaign test, and incorporates email delivery, open and click metrics acquired via Bronto’s API.
To summarize, the Optimove software connects to Bronto via API for two purposes:
- To instruct Bronto to send out a particular email template to a specified list of customer IDs
- To receive from Bronto email campaign metrics (delivery rate, open rate and click rate)
How it Works
1. Prepare Customer Database in Bronto
Once the marketer has opened the Bronto account, the first step is to create the Bronto Contacts that will receive Optimove-generated campaigns. This is accomplished by importing the email addresses into Bronto. Additional fields, such as first name and last name, may also be imported.
It is important that the freshness of this data be maintained on a daily basis. For example, when new customers join, their information must be promptly added as Contacts in Bronto.
Who does it: the marketer, with support from Bronto.
2. Prepare Customer Data for Import into Optimove
The marketer, usually with assistance from internal IT staff, prepares the company’s raw data into specific formats required by Optimove. These customer profile tables, which describe each customer's attributes, will be imported daily by Optimove. Optimove uses this data to segment customers into a variety of dimensions (lifecycle stages, micro-segments, etc.) and to track the behavior of customers and target groups over time. Note that, for the Bronto integration to work, customer email addresses must be included in this data.
Who does it: the marketer, with support from internal IT staff and Optimove integration staff. When required, Optimove staff can take a leading role in this stage.
3. Granting Optimove Access to the Bronto API
In order for Optimove to connect to the Bronto API, it needs to receive login credentials to the client’s API instance – API URL and Key. The marketer must provide these credentials to the Optimove staff.
Optimove communicates with Bronto via Bronto’s SOAP API (for the technically inclined, Bronto’s API guide is available here.)
Who does it: Optimove sets this up in the software, using the credentials provided by the marketer.
4. Using the Joint Optimove-Bronto Solution to Create and Send Customer Campaigns
Making Bronto Email Templates Available to Optimove
When scheduling a Bronto campaign using Optimove’s Run Campaign wizard, the marketer selects the desired template for the campaign from a drop-down list, and can also preview the email template from within Optimove.
Important note: Optimove retrieves a list of available email templates via the Bronto API. In order to be accessible by Optimove, all relevant Bronto templates must be located in a folder named Optimove.
Customizing Email Template Header Information
The From email address, From name and Reply-To email address are not stored by Bronto within email templates. Optimove will use default values for these fields, or the marketer can customize these values using Optimove’s Manage Templates page:
Optimove Generates the Bronto Email Campaign
Each time Optimove actually sends an email campaign via Bronto, Optimove connects to the Bronto API and performs the following steps:
- Optimove creates a Bronto “List”, containing the Bronto Contacts to receive the email (Optimove generates the list of email addresses to receive each campaign according to the target group segmentation defined within Optimove). Important notes:
- Any customer email address not defined in Bronto in advance will not receive the email (see “Prepare Customer Database in Bronto”, above).
- The Bronto API is limited to receiving approximately 50,000 customer email addresses per minute.
- Optimove instructs Bronto to send the email by providing the following parameters:
- The ID of the List to use.
- The ID of the email template to use (this is selected by the user, in Optimove’s Run Campaign wizard, from among all the email campaign templates available to Optimove via the Bronto API).
- The date and time of day when Bronto should send the emails (this is also specified by the user in the Run Campaign wizard).
After a campaign is sent, the Bronto List that was created by Optimove for the campaign remains in the Bronto account. Note: The marketer should occasionally remove previously-used Lists from Bronto, as they will never be re-used by Optimove in the future.
Retrieving Email Campaign Metrics
Once each day, for a period of one week following the sending of each Bronto mailing, Optimove connects to the Bronto API in order to retrieve delivery rate, open rate and click rate metrics for the campaign. These metrics are displayed within Optimove’s Campaign Analysis page for each executed campaign.