The integrated solution of Acoustic (formerly IBM Watson Marketing Suite, formerly Silverpop) and Optimove makes it easy to plan and execute marketing email campaigns, based on the advanced customer segmentation available in Optimove.
Optimove connects to the Acoustic system for two purposes:
- To instruct Acoustic to execute email campaigns, i.e., to send out particular email templates to specified customer lists
- To receive campaign metrics (delivery rate, open rate, click rate and unsubscribed) from Acoustic email so that they can be included within Optimove’s campaign reports
Setting Up the Integration
In order to set up the integration between your Optimove site and your Acoustic account, the following steps are required:
- Ensure that the following customer attributes are available in the Acoustic database:
- CustomerID – this field is used to match customers between Optimove and Acoustic (you can choose to use any alternative unique identifier that appears in both the Optimove and Acoustic databases)
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Ensure that the Acoustic database is created in the Shared folder.
- Maintain a daily update of this database. For example, when new customers join, their information must be promptly updated in Acoustic.
- Create a folder to store the Optimove-generated send queries and provide Optimove with the ID of this folder.
- Provide the Optimove Integration Team with login credentials to the Acoustic API - notes:
- You should create a new administrator-level API account specifically for use by Optimove.
- These credentials may not contain any of these characters: $ & =
- Provide the Integration Team with the following details:
- API access credentials
- The ID of the particular Acoustic customer database to which to connect
- The default time zone of your Acoustic account
- The Acoustic API login URL
- If your templates include personalization tags, provide Optimove with a list of personalization fields you would like to include with your campaigns.
- If your campaigns include promo codes, provide Optimove with the maximum number of promo codes you would like to include with your campaigns.
Your Optimove CSM will set up the integration for your Optimove site, using the details mentioned above.
Advanced Setup – Working with Multiple Business Units
You can connect Optimove to multiple business units under the same Acoustic account.
In order to distinguish between business units, Optimove requires that all email templates under the same business unit be named with a predefined prefix that will be used to associate each template with the relevant business unit. The prefix normally consists of three letters followed by an underscore (e.g., OPT_). When a prefix is defined, only templates with names that begin with the prefix will be imported into Optimove from each business unit.
Provide the following details to Optimove for each additional business unit you wish to use:
- Database ID
- Template prefix
Executing Acoustic Campaigns Using Optimove
1. Set Up Your Email Campaigns in Optimove
- When scheduling a campaign in Optimove, select the Acoustic execution channel.
- Select the desired template(s) from the list of templates extracted for the campaign.
- The list of email templates available in Acoustic’s Shared folder (and previews for those templates) are retrieved by Optimove (via API) on a daily basis. If working with multiple business units, Optimove retrieves all templates from all business units, using the predefined template prefixes.
- In order to work with personalization fields, the templates defined in Acoustic must include references (place holders) to personalization fields.
- Select promotion codes for the campaign (optional).
- Set the desired send time for the campaign.
2. Optimove Executes Your Email Campaigns
On a daily basis, Optimove performs the following steps (via API) for each campaign scheduled for that day:
- Optimove prepares the campaign in Acoustic using Relational Tables – Optimove fills a dedicated relational table in the Acoustic account, including Optimove’s ActionID and CustomerID fields.
- If personalization tags were defined for the selected template, the relevant customer attributes are added to the table, for each individual recipient.
- If promotion codes were selected for the campaign, the relevant codes are added to the table, for each individual recipient.
- Optimove creates a query that runs on the table to retrieve the relevant customers.
- Optimove instructs Acoustic to send the email by providing the following parameters:
- The ID of the previously-created query
- The ID of the email template to use (when working with multiple business units, Optimove will use the prefix of the template selected for the campaign as a reference to the relevant business unit)
- The date and time of execution
- After a campaign is sent:
- The Acoustic mailing object that was created by Optimove is stored in a folder named Optimove.
- The query object used to send each mailing is also stored in the Acoustic account, under the designated folder (or the root folder, if no designated folder is provided).
3. Optimove Retrieves Email Campaign Metrics
For a period of one week following the sending of each Acoustic mailing, Optimove connects daily to the Acoustic API in order to retrieve the delivery rate, open rate, click rate and unsubscribed metrics for the campaign. These metrics are displayed within Optimove’s Campaign Analysis page for each executed campaign.